Monday, September 24, 2007

Charisma of dance

Talking, writing, singing and acting are various means of expressing ones inner self. Dance is another. The rythmic movement of body synchronized with music. It is an experience, a feeling of whose like there is none. They say that dance is 'the poetry of the body'. I present in the following lines the experience of a classical dancer and he tries to explain this fact.

Spreading colours
Up and down,
Round and round
On the canvas of stage,
I do not dance;
Dance does me.

Alaap is the preparation or begining of a musical piece, done softly on the tunes of a single instrument (e.g. fulte) without percussion. In the following lines the dancer enters the stage from the side, walks slowly (indicated by the sound of ankle bells) to the centre, the only place lit dimly and performs alaap. (Rest of the stage is dark black)

I knock the door,
Another world I enter.
Slowly pacing,
I find a shelter.
My body, my soul
Merge with the music
And the amalgam as a whole,
Tries to explore that magical world.
Gone are my sorrows,
The ecstasy knows no bounds
And when my soul returns,
I am born again.

Nrita is the technical part of the dance characterised by concentric circles and intricate foot work synchronised with each and every beat of the percussion instrument. The beats get faster gradually and after reaching the climax slow down or stop suddenly

I hear someone,
Calling me.
I follow and catch her
I hold and embrace her
Together we run,
Faster and faster
Till we are one
And then
The explosion occurs
And together we stop
Suddenly
Happily
Ah! The joy
Is it heaven?
No,
Its much more than that!

Now the dancer enters the last part of the performance, the Abhinaya or the dramatic aspect of the dance. An exquisite poem/ghazal is sung. The dancer acts on it and feigns different objects.

Alluring
Bewitching
Enchanting
Such are her ways
She commands me
Thus pass my days
I am a peacock
I am a tree
I am a sun
I am a sea
I am a thunder
I am a moon
I am a flower
In full bloom
So here I am
Thus
Immortal!

2 comments:

Awais Aftab said...

A very beautiful piece of writing. The way it blends prose and poetry into a harmonized rhythm, it is remarkable. It is an invitation for the reader to accompany the writer on a journey into the enchanted world of dance!

Unknown said...

it made me believe i m actually enjoyin dance being performed..v beautiful words r chosen..its a refreshin piece of writing..enjoyable!