Monday, April 20, 2009

On having kids

I wanted to be called a father. Saad said you are an uncle, Mamoo (as if he knows what I've been doing!). Anyways their paternity is not important as long as they are being cared for properly. My peahen had been incubating five eggs and three chicks hatched out the day before. Small, plump, cute. Mommy (I've now named her Daisy) is happy and I'm happy. To name the chicks their sex had to be known, obviously and the only way chicks' sex can be determined is by palpating their genitals with the pulp of a finger which I'm not going to do by any means. So Saad and Noman suggested unisex names like Naseem, Tallat and Farrukh etc for which I'm thankful to them. I'l consider these names.

Daisy is a wise mommy. She's vigilant and takes each and every step slowly and carefully as she walks while her chicks follow her. Once she stepped on one of her chicks accidentally. She soon realized it, did not put her weight on that foot and lifted it immediately. What I'm rather flabbergasted at is the communication between the family. She produces different voices to which the chicks respond. She has a different voice on sensing danger to which the chicks respond by hiding beneath/behind her. A distinct voice on finding something eatable which is a signal for the chicks to come close to her beak and look forward to something tasty. God!



Feeding time. Scrambled egg is one of their favorites.

6 comments:

senorita.. said...

Many many congrats on having the Chicks..:p
ummm..i think otherwise!!you should name them after your first three crushes..:D ;) !

Hina K said...

lol, even i was told this yesterday that men would love to name their daughters after their long lost crushes :P i couldn't understand the logic though...the woman, mentioning of whose name made your heart pound once is constantly reminding you that she is reincarnated as your daughter....protect her, guide her, feed her...shower upon her your paternal love... isn't it self-torturing.

Abdullah Shahid said...

Well, I would never do that. There's no match, I mean koi 'tuk' nahi banta. Why would I use my daughter to remind me of my crushes

Anonymous said...

awi they're so beautiful, Subhan Allah.. what heavenly voices that they have :)

i hope they make you proud someday hehe

Abdullah Shahid said...

Lol :-)

Saadi said...

Hahahahaha....that's really cute, man!! But yeah...a mother IS and will ALWAYS be a mother no matter what species!